The Movie Studio Inc. (MVES) is a vertically integrated motion picture production company focused on acquiring, developing, producing and distributing independent motion picture content for worldwide consumption via subscription and advertiser video on demand (SVOD/AVOD), over the top (OTT) platforms, foreign sales and various media devices. The company is currently engaged in establishing its own OTT VOD platform to integrate both its own and aggregated feature film projects, television programming and other media intellectual properties. The Movie Studio is disrupting traditional media content delivery systems with its digital business model of motion picture distribution, and the company intends to create a direct server access platform of its content with geo-fractured territories for worldwide distribution.
The company has launched The Movie Studio App on Google Play and the App Store, enabling users to both view the company’s content and potentially become part of it. The app is in the completion stage, and The Movie Studio is conducting its final beta test of the app’s unique “audition submission” function, leveraging the company’s “Watch Our Movies, Be in Our Movies!” content platform and “Everyone’s a Star” campaign, which will be marketed via social media. Using the app, subscribers can upload a thumbnail photo of themselves along with a selfie video audition submission that showcases them reading character dialog. Audition submissions will then be reviewed by producers for possible participation of the auditionee in upcoming feature films.
The audition submission function provides the subscriber the ability to disrupt traditional motion picture casting and management, enabling access to participation in The Movie Studio’s independent motion picture and media content. At the same time, for the company this significantly reduces capital expenditures associated with those traditional media mechanisms. The Movie Studio’s unique business model capitalizes on the global demand for film content through the production and distribution of its own films while also providing opportunities for direct viewer involvement in its content.
The company operates using a growth-by-acquisition strategy that includes:
- Purchasing legacy film libraries.
- Upgrading acquired films to 4K resolution and remonetizing with “new” film content on popular VOD streaming platforms across the internet.
- Strategic partnerships and media content alignment with other OTT platforms and cross-collateralization of leverageable media assets for worldwide distribution.
- Producing micro-budget motion picture content with substantial production value utilizing new 4K technology and the company’s extensive legacy resources and unique production process, thereby significantly reducing capital expenditures while allowing for the potential of significant return on investment (ROI) with one successful production.
- Controlling its revenue streams through server-driven geo-fracturing global territories and its own OTT platform.
Currently, The Movie Studio is producing three upcoming feature films: “Cause and Effect,” “The Last Warhead” and “PEGASUS” — all with completed electronic press kits and pitch decks and fully produced motion picture-quality trailers ready for talent, distribution and financial integration.
The company has been successful in producing, casting and distributing its films on major SVOD platforms without recognizable stars, which reduces capital expenditures. However, The Movie Studio intends to integrate recognizable stars into the productions at value propositions either pre- or post-completion of the intellectual property.
Through successful beta testing, The Movie Studio has monetized film assets on the Amazon, tubi tv, Comcast and Showtime platforms.
The company’s proposed server-based model will provide licensing payment from global territories without third-party distribution fees, which have traditionally been as high as 35%.
Founded in 1961 and formerly known as Destination Television, Inc., the company changed its name to The Movie Studio, Inc. in November 2012. The Movie Studio is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Cord-Cutting Creates Opportunity for VOD Players
Consumers are no longer content waiting for their favorite programming to come on the air – they expect instant streaming access where and how they want it. This has led to increased “cord cutting,” with consumers severing ties with their traditional pay TV providers in favor of digital streaming services.
With the advent of smart TVs with app integration, consumers can now watch what they want to watch when they want to watch it, fracturing traditional cable bundling mechanisms.
With pay TV usage steadily declining – satellite and cable TV businesses in the United States lost approximately 6 million customers in 2019 alone – streaming platforms are poised to potentially replace traditional pay TV distribution models altogether. Approximately 12,000 U.S. consumers are cutting the cord every day.
As this shift in media delivery continues and as digital devices become more sophisticated and bandwidth increases, VOD platforms have the potential to scale significantly. The Hollywood “streaming wars” of recent years have created an environment in which smaller competitors, like The Movie Studio, are able to emerge as major brands.
- VOD poised to replace traditional cable pay TV formats.
- Major Hollywood studio “streaming wars” have created an environment in which small film production companies like The Movie Studio can emerge as major brands.
- Company’s unique model includes creating films and distributing them on major SVOD platforms without the expense of using recognizable movie stars, thus increasing production quality and reducing capital expenditures.
- The Movie Studio has successfully monetized film assets on the Amazon, tubi tv, Comcast and Showtime platforms.