Social Media Statistics
- As of 2018, total worldwide population is over 7.4 billion.
- The internet has over 4.1 billion users.
- There are 2.62 billion active social media users.
- As of 2015, 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels.
- As of 2017, Internet users have an average of 7.6 social media accounts.
- Social media users have risen by more than 160 million in the last year.
- Social media users grew by 121 million between Q2 2017 and Q3 2017.
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion+ messages a day.
- About 68% of U.S. adults are Facebook users, and ¾ of them access Facebook on a daily basis.
This is WHY Social Media should NOT be overlooked…
Facebook: 2.20 billion users
Instagram: 800+ million users
LinkedIn: 500+ million users
Pinterest: 200+ million users
Snapchat: 191+ million users
Twitter: 336+ million users
WhatsApp: 1.5+ billion users
YouTube: Over 1.58 billion users
Social media business statistics
- About 90% of marketers say their social marketing efforts have increased their business exposure, while 75% say they’ve increased traffic.
- 48% of Americans have interacted with companies or institutions on at least one social media network.
- 30% of millennials saying they engage with a brand on social media at least once a month.
- 77% percent of millennials will make a purchase both online & in-store after viewing something on Facebook.
- 50% of millennials use the internet to research products before purchasing.
- 73.4% of users follow a brand because they’re interested in the product or service.
- 45% marketers are looking to increase brand awareness through social media.
- 67% of marketers are using Facebook.
- Social networking ad spending surpassed $19 billion in 2017.
- Facebook ranked #2 in a survey of U.S. senior ad buyers as the platform to drive the most ROI, just below Google search.
Social video statistics
- Almost 60% of US internet users chose Facebook to watch videos online in Dec. 2017.
- Facebook now sees 8 billion average daily video views & 100 million hours of video watched daily
- Snapchat users watch 10 billion+ videos every day.
- YouTube users account for almost 1/3 of total Internet users.
- 45% of people watch more than 1 hour of Facebook or YouTube videos each week.
- 500 million+ hours of videos are watched on YouTube daily.
- 500 million+ people watching videos on Facebook each day.
- More than half of video content is now viewed on mobile devices.
- 92% of mobile video users share videos with others.
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.
- 64% of consumers make a purchase after watching branded social videos.
- 59% of executives agree that if both text and video are available on the same topic, they are more likely to choose video.
- More than 60 million businesses have Facebook pages.
- 39% of users like or follow a page in order to receive a special offer.
- 32% of Facebook users regularly engage with brands.
- 5 billion comments are left on Facebook each month.
- Far more U.S. adults use Facebook than any other social network.
- On average, Facebook users spend about 35 minutes per day on the site.
- Users access Facebook an average of 8 times per day.
- 48% of people ages 18-34 check Facebook when they first wake up.
- Every 20 minutes on Facebook, 1 million links are shared, 20 million friend requests are sent and 3 million messages are sent.
- Facebook is available in 101 languages, with over 300,000 users helping in translation.
- 400 new users sign up for Facebook every minute.
- Twitter reported an estimated 330 million monthly active users globally as of Q4 2017.
- Twitter has 100 million daily active users.
- There are more than 67 million Twitter users in the U.S.
- Users access Twitter an average of 5 times per day.
- 80% of Twitter users access the site on mobile devices.
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first Tweet to the billionth
- LinkedIn has more than 500 million members.
- 250 million of those access the site on a monthly basis
- There are more than 133 million LinkedIn users in the U.S.
- 2 new LinkedIn members are added every second.
- 40% of LinkedIn users access the site daily.
- U.S. marketers polled in November 2017 said LinkedIn was the safest social ad platform for brands in terms of divisive politics or fake news.
- 94% of B2B organizations rely on LinkedIn for content marketing and distribution.